Auditions: Blithe Spirit
April 6 @ 7:00 pm
Performances: June 5, 6, 7 and 11, 12, 13, 14
Directed by Richard Dennis
AUDITIONS: April 6th and 7th, 2020 at 7:00 pm and April 8 (for callbacks, if necessary) at Campus Theatre, 214 W. Hickory, Denton.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. A headshot and resume are appreciated but not mandatory. Please bring your calendar or dates reflecting any conflicts you may have.
ABOUT THE SHOW:
- The Time Period is 1940s / WWII
THE SETTING OF THE PLAY:
The living room of Charles Condomine’s house in Kent, England. One evening, Charles invites local eccentric medium, Madame Arcati, to hold a seance at his house. He asks along his friends, Dr. and Mrs. Bradman, intending to gather character inspiration from Madame Arcati for his latest book. Despite initially thinking the seance has been a failure, it soon becomes clear that Madame Arcati has unwittingly brought back Charles’ first wife, Elvira, to haunt him. Once in his house, Elvira is unable to leave and, as she cannot be seen or heard by Charles’ new wife Ruth, she causes all kinds of mischievous trouble between the married couple.
Blithe Spirit calls for SEVEN ACTORS – Two Men and Five Women.
YES,…We will be performing this production in a British Dialect, so practice before you come out!
- Charles Condomine, a novelist in his forties. Charles is bright, sophisticated, articulate, and debonair but somewhat at the mercy of his wives, past and present.
- Ruth Condomine, Charles’s second wife in her late thirties or early forties. Like her husband, Ruth is witty and sophisticated, and she is quite the society matron. Ruth is a bit stuffy and a little predictable.
- Elvira, the ghost of Charles’s first wife – in her mid to late thirties. Elvira is gray from head to toe, and only Charles can see or hear her. In life, Elvira was spirited, outgoing, wild, and carefree. In death, she is no different; she has cocktails with Genghis Khan. She does love Charles, if somewhat casually, and is jealous of Ruth.
- Madame Arcati, the local spiritualist and medium, she is anywhere from 45-65. Madame Arcati bicycles into the play wearing slightly outlandish clothes and talking to an eight-year-old contact on the other side.
- Edith, the young maid. She’s a bit high strung and is determined to impress her employers.
- Doctor George Bradman, 40s and older, the village doctor and a good friend of Charles Condomine.
- Violet Bradman, 40s and older, the doctor’s wife and comfortable in village life. She is simple and naive.
Tickets go on sale to the public April 10, 2020
Audition dates subject to change. Please confirm dates on our Facebook page closer to the date.